Friday, July 21, 2023


Can I motivate you?


“My team isn’t motivated. Can you train them to be motivated?”

Yes, I have gotten this request a number of times throughout my career. 

Which leads to the question: can you make people be motivated? 

Can I motivate you?


Sure I can. it's just not going to last very long. It's easy to give a motivational speech, get everyone hyped up, and then send people on their way. Are they still hyped up 3 weeks, 2 weeks, even 1 week later? That type of motivation - a one time “rah-rah, you CAN do anything” - doesn't last very long, it's not enduring. If we want people motivated, we need to realize that motivation comes from within. True long-term motivation is something that comes from within ourselves. As a Leader, if I want my team members and my colleagues to be motivated to perform well, I need to do more. I need to create a motivating environment.


But wait! Didn't I just say that I can't motivate people?  I did. The key is finding out what motivates each of my team members. Everyone's motivation can be different. If I'm going to be an effective and successful leader, I need to take the time and discover my team's motivation triggers. 


Some people are motivated by money. They see money as the ultimate stick by which to measure themselves against other people. Others are motivated by recognition. Positive affirmations are essential to their well-being. Some people are motivated by perks and benefits. Additionally, there may be team members who are motivated by the social aspects of a job such as meeting new people, celebrating occasions, or having an overall “fun” environment. You won’t know, though until you ask.  


I know many leaders will say they don't have time for these types of conversations. my response is that you don't have time not to - you will spend extra time trying to keep people engaged in the workplace while having no idea how to engage them.


No comments:

Post a Comment